Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Worship is an Overflow

For some time, I've believed that worship is an overflow. I'm convicted of this because of my experience - my relationship with God and my understanding of His work in my life. Some of my most meaningful moments of worship have directly correlated with what God has done in my heart. As a worship leader, my relationship with God and my understanding of His work in my life shape the worship experiences I create and lead. I make every effort to believe the words (and sing them with conviction) of the songs that I lead each weekend, but some of them are going to more clearly reveal an emotion I am feeling or a truth I am grasping.

I'm now believing something deeper and broader about that statement. There is nothing in my life that does not affect my worship. Everything; every thought I think, every song I listen to, every book I read, every image I see affects my heart and my mind and will eventually affect my worship. Jesus spoke to this idea...

No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. (1)
To be effective in my worship leading, I must be conscience of what affects me. I need to be intentional about filling my mind with things that honor God. Filling my mind with "good fruit" so that it naturally overflows from my heart.
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (2)
Let our prayer be that God cleans us of unrighteousness as we surrender to Him and fill us with the love, hope and peace that we can only find in Jesus. And may His righteousness be the overflow of our hearts, allowing us to lead worship with contagious conviction because of the work He is performing within us.



___________________________________________
References
(1) - Luke 6:44-45
(2) - Philipians 4:8 


1 comment:

  1. The final goal of evangelism is to see all nations worshipping God. And music is a powerful tool to accomplish that end. Worship hymns and praises are relevant expressions of faith of believers.

    Dalene Croff

    ReplyDelete