Friday, February 11, 2011

Leading Worship for a Small Group

When I began leading worship in high school, I was the student chaplain and in charge of programming on my academy's campus. I led worship for large gatherings like our vespers and church services on campus. I learned very quickly how to be comfortable in front of a large group of people by doing this and it was valuable in my development as a worship leader, but I believe my experience in college further gave me experience and skills necessary to lead authentically.

When I got to my college campus, I immediately approached the chaplain on campus as well as local pastors, letting them know I was ready to lead worship at their church. Looking back... that seems pretty cocky, but it is what it is! Haha! Of course, none of them called or emailed this freshman they just met to come lead their congregation in worship. However, the campus chaplain recommended I attend a small group that was meeting in the student center every Sabbath morning and offer to lead a song there - so I did, that very weekend.

It went well and so began my experience as a small group worship leader.

I did that for a few months and began leading worship for another small group that met on a weeknight as well... and eventually a in several other small group settings.

In those small groups, I learned a lot about worship leading. The small, intimate setting creates an inescapable confrontation of your own heart, with the hearts of those present. You can't perform for a small group. They are literally 5 feet from you. They see every expression and sense any discomfort, nervousness or vulnerability. You cannot mask it.

As the worship leader, you too can receive immediate feedback from those you lead. You know exactly who is singing... who is worshiping. You can tell whether or not your song selection is on point by how engaged the group is (rather than how great your band sounds!).

To this day, I embrace leading small groups as I would a large group. I put in just as much personal preparation and intentionality. Each month I lead worship for our mid-week "service" at New Hope, which only has 5-20 attendees about once or twice. It's a great opportunity for me to get more personal with some of the most spiritually hungry attendees of our church. I encourage every young worship leader that I mentor to do the same and grow from their experience.

Learning to lead for a small group of people has only increased my abilities to lead for the larger congregations. It has helped me remember to be humble, yet convicted when I lead. To always consider those that I'm leading when I choose songs, which will fill their mouths with a conversation with God. It has helped me understand how to lead a group of people on an authentic journey of adoration and growth; not just "song service" or a performing a "worship set."

1 comment: